Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Battle of the Bulge: Part III, 16 Months Post-Partum

I was getting lost in my past blog posts and realized I have posted nothing on my weight-loss journey since... I don't really remember. Yes, I am, in fact, the lightest I have been since 2010 I believe, when I was going through the psycho stalker student situation and had recently lost my dad, so I existed on oreos and mountain dew (OMG, that's disgusting). But, what's interesting to me, is how I lost that much after having Drew.

I put on a lot of weight with Drew. A LOT. It was a combination of stress, being busy all the time, managing two small children, managing Catherine's shit, and having a husband who was barely home. Oh yes, and a bathroom remodel and kitchen remodel. Looking back, what the hell was I thinking? I was already heavier than I wanted to be when I found out I was pregnant, and from there, I ate my feelings. And I had a lot of feelings.

I think I gained somewhere between 50-55 pounds with Drew. The most I had with any of the kids, and therefore, the most I have ever lost. I remember going back to school and HATING the way I looked. I went out and bought new clothes (of which, I have since given away or donated to Goodwill). It was terrible. I felt jiggly, I wasn't comfortable in my own skin, and I hated that I didn't have time to exercise.

Fast-forward to September, when Drew was about 6 months, and I discovered that food dyes made Catherine a psycho. So we took those things out of our house. Now, NO ONE in my house eats anything with dye in it. Like all things, I started researching what is REALLY in our food.

Um, shit. Shit is in our food. Complete. Shit. It's disgusting. I had no idea that some of the ingredients for Mountain Dew also came from PETROL BASED PRODUCTS. Say, what? I was grossed out. So I switched to cappucino. Because, you know, that will really help the pounds melt off...

I did that for a few months, enjoyed the hell out of it because it tastes like a hot milkshake, and then really got on board. I cut all artificial sugars and caffeine out of my diet. Did I mention I did this a week before we went on our cruise? Kind of stupid, but I figured the week before spring break, I had nothing going on at school. No night commitments, no competitions, nothing. So I might as well.

When we left for our cruise, I was 162. Close to my pre-pregnancy weight. In all of this, Eric decided he was going to try and lose weight too, but without cutting the caffeine and sugars. Yet, he still had begun losing weight. I managed to avoid a ton of food and only gained four (FOUR!) pounds on the cruise. But after that, it melted off.

I didn't realize how much sugar and the crap that is put into our food helps keep the pounds on. I am now down to 155. Again, one of the lightest weights I have been in several years. Definitely before kids.

I have also realized how much people (like me) don't really need caffeine. I have always been a high energy person. Now, I am a high energy person without the caffeine. That isn't to say that I don't drink it. I will have a sip of Eric's pop if we go out to eat, or I will sneak the occasional cookie in the break room at work, or have a few M&M's if my co-worker has some at lunch. But for the majority of my diet, I have simply cut out crappy food and caffeine. What a difference it has made. I don't feel tired in the mornings, like I used to. I still feel tired, but I wake up to that fully awake state within 10 minutes. I do lag in the afternoons, but then I just eat something and it helps immensely. I sleep so much better! It's crazy that me, the girl who drank a Surge and ate Toaster Strudels before school every morning in high school, and existed on Oreos and Mountain Dew during my teaching career has taken all of that out of my diet. But it's been awesome.

The bottom line is that I have done it for Catherine. If I am able to do it, I can keep it out of my house, and she will never know the difference. She won't be asking for a sip of pop, or wondering what I'm drinking in the mornings. I have noticed a huge difference in my other two as well. They sleep longer, fall asleep faster, and overall are very well behaved, sans the typical 1.5/5 year old stuff. Our bedtime routine (cue knocking on wood, please) lasts 30 minutes, from the time we head upstairs to the time the kids fall asleep. FALL ASLEEP. And they stay asleep. It's awesome. Although, now watch them wake up four times tonight for some reason.

In all, it's been an interesting experience as I didn't think it would do much for me. I figured I would always perpetually be a little heavier after kids. Needless to say, I am happy to see that is not the case. I am glad I did this for ME, and I am glad Eric is with me on this journey. Eric has lost a total of 25 pounds already. TWENTY-FIVE! And this is from a guy who is pretty built as he lifts heavy things all day.  I have lost ten. In three months.

Go us.
















No comments:

Post a Comment