Monday, April 22, 2013

Don't Forget Your Underwear!

In talking with some colleagues, we realized today that our seniors only have 18 days left of school. Eighteen.

And every year, it's about this time that I start thinking back to my own senior year. I was so excited to get out and experience the world. I was on my way to Iowa State University, without a clue in what I might major in, and just trying to get through those last weeks, days, hours, minutes, until I was finished with high school.

The day I left for Iowa State was a beautiful August day. My older brother, Allan, was headed back to Iowa State for his Master's Degree, so he and I rented a U-Haul, packed up our stuff, and headed out. I left a few boxes in my closet for when I came home for Thanksgiving Break (there was no way I was coming home any earlier) and double-, then triple-checked that I had everything I needed.

We got to my dorm in Ames, Allan helped me haul up the few things that I really needed and then left the rest of it on the front lawn of my dorm. I systematically, one by one, carried those boxes, totes and bags up to my fourth floor dorm room. I didn't mind doing it myself because doing so signified the independence that I was so badly craving.

I unpacked some things, but shortly after my brother called and asked if I wanted to run to Target to get toiletries and anything else I might have forgotten.  We grabbed what we needed, went out to eat, and my brother left me at my dorm.

I awoke the next morning excited for the day ahead and the things I had planned (really, nothing. But I was still excited that I was going to be able to nothing on my own). I grabbed my new toiletries, robe, shower sandals and headed to the showers.

When I got back to my room, I searched through the totes where I had cram-packed my enormous wardrobe. I knew I had to have packed my underwear somewhere...

Alas, I had not. I was without underwear. I repeat, without underwear. The most essential piece of anyone's wardrobe, and I did not have it. I repeat, without underwear.

One thought crossed my mind as the realization of the situation dawned on me... "F--k." And I could see the clear tote where I had packed my underwear sitting on the floor of my closet in my room at home in Nora Springs. Not in Ames. F--k.

What the hell was I supposed to do??? Luckily, I knew my dad was driving through Ames on business that day, so I called him. After he got done laughing at me, he said he would grab the tote and bring it down.

Saved by the 6'5" 350 pound underwear fairy.

So I did what any educated college student would do - put my worn underwear on inside out and got ready for my day.

My roommate was bringing the TV a few days later, I had no computer of my own and had no idea how to use the computer lab, and quickly became bored of unpacking. Allan called and asked if I wanted to come and meet some of his roommates.

So I headed over.

I stayed there for the better part of the afternoon, hanging out with Allan, who was helping me map out the route around campus for all my classes. I finally headed to my dorm, got off the elevator on the fourth floor and got to my dorm door. And there, on the marker board I had so proudly hung on the door the day before was a note from my dad.

"I left your underwear next door -------------->"

What?! Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod. A flood of horror washed over me. I had some really cute underwear in that clear tote. But also in that tote, I had underwear that you couldn't really tell if it was underwear or a rag. The fabric worn thin, elastic wasn't really elastic anymore and it was that underwear. Like... that underwear.

Ohmygod.

I quickly unlocked my door and when safely on the other side, shut it and leaned my back against it. What the hell was I supposed to say to this person who apparently held my underwear captive?

"Umm, hi. I'm Laura, I live next door to you, and I think my dad left my underwear with you?" And that's exactly what I did say. It was one of the most embarrassing, life-changing moments I had ever had.

That first introduction between Melissa and I opened up doors to experiences I never thought I would have. We partied hard, we laughed, we cried, we endured a lot together. We were fast friends, always together, had late nights, early mornings, studied for finals, didn't study for finals.It was a friendship that was found through new independence for the both of us, excitement for what the future held for us, and underwear.

My dad taught me a lot of things, but one of the most impactful, significant life lessons that I, to this day, have always remembered, was to not forget my underwear.


1 comment:

  1. Ha! I can just see Uncle Tom doing this!
    You had a pretty awesome Underwear Fairy.

    ReplyDelete