Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Battle of the Bulge, Part III: Week...18?

The neighbor girl asked me today how old Drew is. I said, "...4 and a half months?" She replied, "Yeah, but how old is he? Like... how old?" So I replied, "...18 weeks?" She said. "Wow, that's really old!" I love the minds of little kids... unless they are whining or arguing. In that case, no thanks, but in this one, adorable!

So I have been on this journey for 18 weeks (or so, I am not really counting at all and frequently have to think when asked how old Drew is, or how old any of my kids are, or really what day of the week it is and yes, think I showered...

But I digress.

Yes, 18 weeks since Drew blessed our lives. However, the beginning was all about survival. Eating whatever I wanted to help with milk supply. Yoga pants and nursing tanks with the occasional bulky sweatshirt thrown over it. It was glorious.

But I will never forget stepping on that scale when I decided to get serious. I haven't really disclosed what I weigh at each of my blog check-ins, but writing my first one, I was incredibly depressed. How did my weight gain get that out of control?

Maybe it was all the extra portions, less mobility and not really giving a shit. I have lost it before, I can do it again. Hahahahahahahah, little did I know it would be this hard.

I weighed around 190 at about 8 weeks post-partum. Today I stepped on the scale and I weigh 169 post-partum. And that's not a magical, OH MY GOD I GOT PAST 170 and then tomorrow it will be back up to 171. It has been legit for a couple of days, but I didn't want to blog about it because I thought it was a fluke.

So what have I been doing? Eating healthy, playing more with my kids now that I can, y'know, MOVE  and watching my portions. Oh, and breastfeeding, which can burn up to 800 calories a day. Crazy!

It's been a long road, but a road forward nonetheless.

So about 20 pounds lost in 2 1/2 months sounds a lot better 20 pounds lost in 10 weeks, but I will take it. That's about 2 pounds a week. Which is quite impressive. I have 2 more months of summer, which is another 8 weeks. Maybe I can burn off some more by the time I go back to school?

We shall see!
On the left: About 185, and definitely sucking in. On yhe right: 169 and still going... hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment