Thursday, November 27, 2014

Potty Training, Day 4

I would say this journey has, surprisingly, been a positive one so far. And here is why:

1) I had the correct provisions.
Everyone will need a small bottle of wine, for either that first success, or that first major disaster.

2) I figured out very quickly that James liked to hide before he figured out that he could just pee in the toilet.

One of the places James hid prior to one of his first "accidents." His 6 foot, cardboard train. 

3) I forced him to wear underwear after realizing he couldn't go pantsless at daycare.
Little-boy-underwear butts are seriously the cutest! 

4) I let the kid do whatever the hell he has wanted in the past few days, within reason. We have still had to send him to time out, but truth be told, it has only been a few times and it was for typical toddler things. I made very sure it was very separate from anything having to do with potty training.
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Frozen/Dinosaur Train for the 90th time today? Why not??
5) I have kept a detailed account of anything and everything that has happened in regard to peeing and pooping.
Pretty sure the kid didn't go four hours without peeing... I am assuming my detailed account is actually not-so-detailed.

So there you have it. We have been doing everything the way we typically do it here at the Engels Homestead.

Like I said, thus far, it has been a relatively easy journey. We started with rewards, but I was very inconsistent and pretty soon, we weren't using them anymore. I may have to take them out once we start the poop stages of potty training. After his first weird accident today, which was more of a sprung-a-leak sort that didn't even soak through his pants, I implemented a "spot check" where I say "spot check!" and lightly pat his crotch to make sure he hasn't leaked, or started to pee and then stopped.

We are rocking and rolling with only two   accidents this morning that were a result of him simply not getting to the toilet on time. Once he began to pee, he ran for his toilet and finished through his underwear. Which was pretty funny to watch! But from there, we kept the same pair of underwear on him all day.

All in all, I feel like I am missing something. Poop, of course, but something else... Maybe the ease of this will go away once he decides he has to poop...

Wish us luck in that department!

No comments:

Post a Comment